SWC Credit 8: OSHA Compliant Practices and Safe Vehicle Processes (2 points)
Reduce collection vehicle accidents and worker injuries.
Local Government and Industry Requirements:
Implement an ongoing safety and equipment usage training program that demonstrates compliance with all Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) Vehicle and Driver safety requirements, including applicable drug and alcohol testing.
Disconnect safety incentive programs from “accident-free” periods.
Conduct an OSHA-Level audit by a qualified auditor.
Qualified auditors include:
● Federal or State OSHA inspector;
● A Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) certified insurance inspector;
● A union CIH or equivalent safety official
Full abatement of all OSHA incidents reported
Collection vehicle accident prevention:
● Hold pre-dispatch safety meetings “Safety tailgates” and pre-trip safety checklist review
○ Paid shift hours and schedules should accommodate these safety reviews.
● Develop and implement a policy on distracted driving, including limitation on Smartphone or other handheld devices for drivers.
● Utilize vehicle monitoring devices to analyze Safety Leading Indicators
○ The first offense shall result in training, unless there was extreme disregard for the law and taught safety practices. The second offense shall result in discipline.
○ No employee driver shall be discharged if such discharge is based solely upon information received from GPS, telematics, or any successor system that similarly tracks or surveys a driver’s movements unless he/she engages in dishonesty (any intentional act or omission by an employee where he/she intends to defraud the Company) or extreme disregard for the law or safety practices, as set by the employee led safety committees.
○ Truck maintenance requirements as set forth in ANSI Z245.
● Equip trucks with side-guards to prevent pedestrian/bicyclist run overs.
● Ensure that pick-up occurs on the side of the street with the prevailing flow of traffic for the lane.
○ No vehicle or personnel crosses traffic to pick up waste.
● Automated arms to reduce injuries
● Install lighting and strobes; one standard wheeled tote of limited size