SWEEP stands for “Solid Waste Environmental Excellence Performance” Standard. SWEEP is a market transformation and sustainability performance standard for municipalities and the waste management service providers that support them. SWEEP identifies and rewards leaders in Sustainable Materials Management and acts a roadmap for evaluating comprehensive sustainable best practices and policies. The SWEEP Standard also provides performance benchmarks for sustainable waste collection, recovery and disposal practices and technologies.
A world without waste where materials are valued and continually utilized for their highest and best purpose, without causing harm to human health and the environment.
SWEEP aims to transform the materials management industry and help it become more environmentally conscious, innovative, and efficient. SWEEP identifies and rewards sustainable best practices and policies of local governments and the waste management service providers that support them, while additionally serving as a roadmap for continued, sustainable success.
- In spite of stagnant performance in the industry there is a strong and growing interest in the lifecycle of sustainable materials management.
- There are no universally accepted standards, protocols or definitions governing municipal and waste management industry performance for sustainable materials management for MSW.
- Voluntary standards, such as LEED, have led to profound positive transformations of the industries that adopt them.
- COGs (Councils of Governments)
- Regional Waste Districts
- Material Recovery Facilities (MRFs)
- Single Stream
- Dual Stream
- Transfer Stations
- Drop Off Facilities
- Waste-to- Energy Facilities (WTE)
- Anaerobic Digesters
- Composting Facilities
- The SWEEP Steering Committee and Standards Committee are made up of expert materials management practitioners. The Steering Committee helps guide the high level organizational decisions and The Standards Committee assists in the development of credit structure, language, and definitions.
- As the standard develops and the participating community grows, additional technical and market committees will be created including Performance Category Committees as well as Ad Hoc Committees focused on important topics such as Source Reduction, Waste Characterization, and Waste Generation & Disposal.
View SWEEP’s Steering Committee members here.
View SWEEP’s Standards Committee members here.
The 100 point SWEEP+ Standard, SWEEP’s first standard designed for the top quartile of the industry, consists of 50 credits across 5 Performance Categories. SWEEP+ Performance Categories include:
- Sustainable Materials Management Policy (SMMP) – 21 Points
- Waste Generation & Prevention (WGP) – 18 Points
- Solid Waste Collection (SWC) – 18 Points
- Post Collection Recovery (PCR) – 29 Points
- Post Collection Disposal (PCD) – 14 Points
What’s the best way to get in contact with SWEEP?
- Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Checkout and Subscribe to SWEEP’s Youtube Channel