SWC Credit 5: Minimizing Emissions from Transfer Stations (2 points)
Reduce the environmental footprint of transfer stations
Local Government and Industry Requirements:
● Limit Idle Time to 10 minutes
o Total time from which a vehicle arrives to when it leaves the facility
● Institute best practice dust control techniques
● Demonstrate that the transfer station has the capacity to store and/or treat 100 percent of onsite runoff, including any run-on from adjacent property, prior to discharge to the sewer system, street or any nearby waterway.
Mobile Equipment (1 point)
● For 50 percent of mobile equipment utilized on site or 50 percent of total fuel consumption: Utilize low-sulfur diesel fuel; install catalytic and particulate pollution control devices; and/or utilize diesel engines certified as Low NOx (<0.02 g NOx/bhp-hr) by the California Air Resources Board (CARB).
Processing Equipment (1 point)
● For 50 percent of Processing Equipment:
o Utilize electric equipment or use ultra low-sulfur diesel fuel; install catalytic and particulate pollution control devices
o Utilize ULEV diesel engines
● Utilize low emission on site mobile equipment.