SWC Credit 4: Household Hazardous Waste Collection Infrastructure (2 points)
To ensure proper handling and disposal of HHW by the Local Government entity and greater community or the Company, preventing negative human health impacts and pollution of the natural environment.
Local Government and Industry Requirements:
Implement an exclusive program that handles household hazardous waste as defined by the EPA and involves RCRA Subtitle C regulation, as well as household medical waste
● Demonstrate accessibility to 95 percent of residents or customers served. Services may consist of “drop off locations,” “to-house pick-up services,” and/or recycling services. All of the following must be considered in program development
○ Light bulbs
○ Cleaning products (i.e. drain, oven, glass, etc.)
○ Automobile fluids (i.e. motor oil, brake fluid, antifreeze, etc.)
○ Pesticides, herbicides and insecticides
○ Other derivatives of HHW sub-programs will be taken into consideration upon review
■ Household medical waste including but not limited to:
■ Prescription drugs
■ Needles and sharps
■ Blood-soiled materials
■ Chemotherapy residues
● Publish collection drives and locations of facilities or programs that accept HHW or collect it at the residents’ door.
Support or facilitate mail-back programs.