Intent: Use market mechanisms to reduce waste generation and to incentivize more efficient waste management systems.
Local Government Requirements:
Adopt the following incentive/market-based policies.
Tier 1: (1 point)
Develop and adopt 2 or more policies/programs.
Tier 2: (1 point)
Develop and adopt 4 or more policies/programs.
Tier 3: (1 point)
Develop and adopt 6 or more policies/programs.
Sample list of potential based policies and programs
● Pay-as-you-throw variable pricing for waste management services.
● Offer and promote no-cost annual business waste assessment/audit with recommendations for “right-sizing”.
● Incentives for product ‘lightweighting’ through EPP guidelines.
● Tax breaks or other incentives for donations to non-profit food rescue or other intermediate material reuse organizations.
● Tax breaks and/or other incentives for difficult to recycle materials such as mattresses and Styrofoam.
● Incentives for xeriscaping or other policies to reduce grass planting and drought tolerant landscaping
● Optimize and incentivize procurement policies for products and materials that are recyclable and have recycled content.
● Creation of recycling market development zones.
● Adoption of reward-based recycling incentive programs, such as Recyclebank & other loyalty-based buyback programs.
● Advanced disposal/processing fees; e.g. Tire and battery disposal fees, and any other container reuse/recovery fees.
● Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) requirements in Local Government procurement or requirements for retail establishments should conform with Version 4 of SMaRT Sustainable Product Standard, or an equivalent standard that has an operational reuse prerequisite and credit for end-of-life reuse in excess of 35 percent.
● Other programs as defined by the Local Government
Industry Requirements: Not applicable.
● Evaluate the best combination of options to sustainably manage materials in the Local Government and develop an ordinance to adopt these programs.
● Ensure that dedicated resources are allocated for execution of the Sustainable Materials Management strategies.