SMMP Prescriptive Path
SMMP Credit 2: Materials Processing Infrastructure and Market Development Policy (2 points)
To support economic development by increasing local and/or regional processing infrastructure and markets for recovered materials.
Local Government Requirements
Develop and adopt a policy that facilitates and supports the development of public and/or private processing and manufacturing infrastructure for recovered materials and incentives for purchasing the output of these facilities.
● Convene an Enabling Board to support local economic development through material recovery and processing infrastructure.
● “Buy local” and “buy recycled” content incentives in procurement. Incentives can include low-interest loans, grants, technical assistance and business development and marketing support.
● Be a collaborative partner, streamline and assist in the project development process for qualifying projects, including accelerating permitting, fee or tax reductions, etc.
● Integrate market development incentives in service agreements, i.e., offset costs of processing for hard-to-market recoverable materials.
● Set up a “last chance” mercantile stores that sell reusable goods that have been either donated to or salvaged by waste processing facilities.