To establish energy efficiency and sustainability requirements for new purchases of capital equipment, construction, infrastructure, and utilities.
- Maintain a sustainable purchasing program covering durable equipment associated with administration of the program with a high cost per unit that are not regularly replaced through the course of operations. These materials include, but are not limited to:
- Office equipment and appliances
- Maintain a sustainable purchasing program covering the facility’s total energy consumption through the course of operations. Options for renewable electricity include, but are not limited to:
- Tier 1: RECs purchased from the grid that are Green-e certified or equivalent.
- Tier 2: On-site renewables (wind, hydro, solar, etc.) or natural gas recovered from the waste stream
- Credit assignment options: Electricity generation, cogeneration, heat generation, or cleaned and compressed for rolling stock or collection equipment
- Tier 3: Certify all construction or renovation projects of waste processing facilities in excess of 5,000 square feet to LEED Silver Level.