Encourage reduced waste generation to reduce material use
Develop, support and promote at least 5 of the following—or equivalent—waste reduction/reuse programs in the municipality
- Pay as you throw programs [issue of illegal dumping and ‘cheating’]
- Food waste reduction: Prevent healthy and consumable food from being wasted
- Staffed swap shops & construction material clearinghouses
- Repair cafes
- Support corporate reuse/repair programs, Patagonia, etc.
- Charity reuse programs, such as Salvation Army and Goodwill; Vietnam Veterans of America programs–materials collected and distributed to veterans
- Backyard composting or grasscycling programs
- Material exchanges and/or material libraries, (e.g. textiles/clothing)
- Material opt-out options (i.e. phone books, news publications, etc.)
- Municipal-sponsored book drives for community re-circulation
- Provide residents kitchen composting bins, composting instruction manuals.
- Printed and online resources to respond to questions.