Reduce collection vehicle accidents and worker injuries.
Mandatory: Implement an ongoing safety and equipment usage training program.
Option 1: “Accessible” Training (Mandatory for new hires; ongoing) In the predominant/fluent language; graphic-based or video training; globalized hazard recognition symbols used.
Option 2: Conduct an OSHA-Level audit by a qualified auditor.
Qualified auditors include:
- Federal or State OSHA inspector;
- Insurance inspector;
- Union safety official;
Option 3: Full remediation of all OSHA incidents reported
- “OSHA-Type” inspection/audit; insurance company; inspection recommendations
- Worker injuries
- Automated arms to reduce injuries
- Right side of the road pick-up; Lighting and strobes; limiting tote sizes
- Collection vehicle accidents
- “Safety tailgates”
- “Pre-trip checklist form—safety included” DOT requires this.
- Smartphone limitations for drivers—hands-free installation; policies
- Vehicle monitoring devices
- Truck maintenance requirements.