Maximize thermal efficiency of thermal conversion facilities.
Demonstrate a “Primary Energy Savings” (PES) greater than [0.5 utilizing the PES calculator.
PES = (Reference Plant* Primary Energy – Primary Energy Use of Thermal Conversion) ÷ (Embodied Energy of RDF + Primary Energy Use of Thermal Conversion)
* A natural gas combined cycle plant with a heat rate of 7,650 Btu/kWh shall be the Reference Plant.
- Reduce moisture content of incoming fuel
- Pelletize or otherwise form input fuel
- Minimize need for co-firing with fossil fuel
- Utilize biogas or other recovered gas as a co-firing fuel